Saturday, February 28, 2009

Southern Red Beans and Rice Recipe




I made this for dinner tonight and it was yum! However, it was like 70 degrees while I cooked it. I think it would be great on a colder day. It's a very warming dish.

1 pound of small red beans
1 pound of sausage (less if you like less meat in your dish or are trying to save money by using less meat/many cooks prefer andouille but any good, firm sausage will do.)
1 medium sized onion, chopped
1 medium sized green bell pepper, chopped
3 large celery ribs, halved and sliced
1 tsp. minced garlic (fresh is best)
2 tsp. cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
*you can also throw a bay leaf in if you'd like. I do sometimes.

When serving:
Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
Louisiana style hot sauce (I like Tobasco, or Crystal for a milder taste)


1.Rinse and sort beans into a large stockpot. Add about 6 to 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Let set for one hour, covered. After one hour has elapsed, drain and rinse beans. Return to pan.

2. I use a 5 qt. stockpot for this recipe. I add enough water to hit the 5 quart line inside (i'm lucky to have pans that have measurements on the inside-yay
Ikea pots and pans! Disclaimer: I got my set for only $19.99, but I had to wait in a line that literally had HUNDREDS of people in it-SO worth it for great pots! /end crazy happy rant about pots and pans and back to the recipe.) Bring to a boil, and boil for about an hour, adding water as needed, and stirring occasionally.

3. While your beans are boiling, very lightly brown your sausage. I brown mine just enough to firm it up so that I can cut it more easily. Slice your sausage into rounds and set aside. Chop onion, bell pepper, and celery, and add your 1 tsp. garlic into a large mixing bowl.

4. After your beans have boiled for an hour, add your sausage and veggie/garlic mix. Give it a stir, add some salt to taste (not too much as the sausage will add some saltiness.) Add water, if needed-the pot should be almost full, about an inch and a half from the top. Bring it back to a boil and boil for an hour and a half to two hours, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed. (I like mine kind of like a stew, with broth.)

5. When your dish is finished, ladle it atop a heaping mound of white rice. Season with a hefty shake of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, and a few generous dashes of Louisiana hot sauce.

**Fresh french bread and a salad are also good accompaniments to this dish. (I'll have to post my favorite simple french bread recipe later.)