Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Communion

The worship band sings "Oh Glorious Day" up on stage. It's one of my favorite songs. My husband sits next to me. He takes his huge, strong arm and puts it around my shoulder, pulls me close to him. I rest my head against his chest...and he starts to pray. "Dear Lord, we thank you for all these blessings You have put upon our lives, Father. We ask that you would watch over the children, Lord...help us to teach them to do Your will. We thank you for all things, Father..." My eyes well up with tears as I listen to him quietly speaking the prayers of his heart.


Every week we take communion at church, and every single week, my precious husband thanks the Lord for his "beautiful/precious/loving wife"-the words that describe me change from week to week, but he always gives thanks for me very early on in his weekly communion prayer. It makes me feel so grateful to have a wonderful, loving husband. Taking communion with William is such a privilege. It refreshes our hearts for the week to come, unites us in worship, strengthens our marital bond, and helps us to set a good example of a God-centered marriage for the children. The first thing we did after taking our wedding vows was to take our first communion together-before anything else, even before our first kiss. We wanted to make our covenant with the Lord above all else, followed by our vows to each other. How fitting that we get to take communion at church together on a weekly basis, to keep fresh in our minds and hearts the promises we have made.

Thank you, Father, for sending a strong, God-fearing head of household for our family. I'm so glad I don't have to do it alone anymore.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Loved this post!! I love how you took communion together at your wedding. Such a beautiful picture of God's love for us.

Cynical Spinster said...

Thank you so much, Melissa. <3