Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Almost Chipotle At Home

I really love Chipotle. I've only been there 3 times, but really, they are so yummy! Today I found myself craving a Chipotle burrito bowl. I have 2 kids with birthdays this upcoming month plus back to school shopping, so my husband and I really couldn't justify the expense of eating out. I figured i'd try my hand at making them at home. I went to the 99 cent store and spent 1 dollar on a package of lettuce, 1 dollar on a large can of black beans, and 1 dollar on a package of queso fresco (I don't think they use this at Chipotle but I love me some queso fresco!) I had everything else at home. Please excuse my pics, I can't find my camera so I took them on my phone. This is how it turned out:


 Above is Tiny's bowl. It consisted of hand torn romaine lettuce, diced tomato, grilled steak, black beans, corn, cilantro lime rice, shredded cheese (he wanted mozzarella), freshly made guacamole and a light drizzle of Italian dressing.


Above is my bowl. I had a base of lettuce and diced tomato, topped with grilled steak, black beans, cilantro lime rice, queso fresco, freshly made guacamole and a drizzle of Italian dressing.

It was super easy. I started the rice first. (Picture of homemade cilantro lime rice below.)


While the rice was cooking I made the guacamole and let it set in the fridge. I diced the tomatoes, heated up the beans, added the ingredients to the cilantro lime rice to flavor it, and heated up the steak. Then I ripped up the lettuce and assembled our bowls. Totally cheap, especially since we used last night's leftover steak.

You could use any sides you want. I checked out the Chipotle website and the stuff they use is pretty basic:
*lettuce
*tomato
*grilled steak, grilled chicken or barbacoa (I have a recipe for their barbacoa that I am dying to try!)
*pinto or black beans
*cilantro lime rice (they usually have a choice between white and brown)
*corn (you can pan roast your corn, it adds an amazing flavor to salads and other dishes!)
*cheese
*guacamole
*sour cream
*salsa

Throw your lettuce and tomatoes in a bowl, and top with whatever toppings you like to personalize your own Chipotle bowl. This would be totally fun for a family night or a party! You could have a "Chipotle bar"! This came out delicious and was well worth making it at home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks really Good! did it come out better then at the resterunt?

~Jessica U.