Sunday, September 2, 2007

Outside my Window



















The first thing I do every morning is walk around the house and open the blinds in every room. If it's not too hot or cold, I open all of the windows and the front and back door as well to get some fresh morning air in the house. This lets all kinds of wonderful sunlight in, and hopefully saves me on electricity as I turn off nightlights that were left on overnight, as well as just making me feel happy and refreshed and ready to start my day.

My walk around the house ends in the kitchen, where I stop to make my coffee. While my coffee is brewing I always open my kitchen window and look out. Right outside my window there is a light golden brown bamboo mesh fence extension that sticks out about 3 feet or so above my plain brown wooden fence. It is a roll of bamboo, tied together so that the bamboo sticks are parallel to each other. It is not a very tightly assembled roll, and there are small spaces between the bamboo sticks. I like it because I think it looks somewhat tropical.

The big thing I love about it though, is that a morning glory vine has woven itself around and through the fence. The vines just happened to grow into two U type shapes, which makes them look almost like those fake flower swags one would hang inside their homes. These are not fake looking though. They are periwinkle colored morning glories with bright purplish pink lines radiating out from the centers like stars, on vivid green vines with thick, healthy leaves unmarred by backyard pests. In the early morning, while the sun is still not far above the horizon, sunlight filters in the most amazing way through the spaces in the bamboo fence, illuminating the fence as well as the morning glories from behind. They almost look as if they are lit up from within. I love looking at it every morning, it's such a nice way to start my day.

I took a picture of just a small section of the fence the other morning, and it just doesn't do it justice.

No comments: