Sunday, May 1, 2011

My Wedding Anniversary


is in exactly 30 days! I want to be healthy and slender for my husband. My anniversary present to myself (and him) is that I am trying to lose as much weight as healthfully possible before our big day! So far i've lost 13.8 pounds-10 of them in the last 6 weeks, when I really started getting serious about this. The super fun thing is, hubs has jumped on the health bandwagon, too! He bought us a gym membership and we have been going and working out together several times per week. I love working out with him, and he has said that it makes him feel closer to me, doing this together.

It feels so good to bless my body! I have so much more energy already. My clothing fits better, and I just feel healthier all around. I know that there are people out there who have health problems and such that prevent them from being able to do anything about their weight, and this makes me truly grateful that I can-and it also reminds me to keep my friends and loved ones in prayer who don't have the opportunities I have in this area.

I have chronic bronchial asthma, and a heart murmur, and my health problems get considerably easier to handle when I am in good shape and at a certain weight. I have already noticed a big difference in my energy levels and just in the way I feel-the exercise has really helped me work off some stress and I feel refreshed when I get done with a workout. I don't feel so bloated and sluggish and tired since i've lost a few pounds and started eating more healthfully. I've also gone out and bought a couple of cute dresses that I totally wouldn't have been able to carry off when I was heavier...i'm enjoying the excuse to buy some new, more feminine clothing-as my old clothing grows too large for me (and yay to fitting back into my size 8 jeans!)

I'm really hoping to bless my family and my husband by blessing my own body. I really feel that it helps me to serve my family more joyfully and efficiently when I am healthy. (Oh, and summer is coming! I am looking forward to having the energy to go hiking and to the beach, playing in the surf and sand without getting fatigued! I love spending time with my family outdoors!)

The struggle with weight is not new to me. I hit my highest weight at the age of 27, after giving birth to my 5th child. (I had the youngest 3 in less 3 years-2 13 months apart, and then littlest 22 months later. Hard on the body! Total, 5 kids in 10 years.) After my littlest was born,I weighed in at 190 pounds at a height of about 5 foot 6. This tipped me just over the line of being obese on the BMI scales. It took me about two years to lose almost 50 pounds and get down to around 140 pounds-it was hard, but I persevered and did it. I, personally, feel most comfortable between 140 and 145 pounds-I have tons of energy, and just feel great at that weight. Unfortunately, a miscarriage about a year and a half ago left me with some excess weight once again. It took me a while, but I really knew I needed to do something about the excess weight-so here I am. After giving birth to 5 children, losing 3 pregnancies, and now, nearing my mid-30s, it is not as easy to lose the weight as it used to be. One big problem I have is that I get to my goal weight, and then something happens (in all of the previous cases, pregnancy & delivery, and/or miscarriage) and I gain weight again and take too long to get it back off. Instead of making my goal just to lose the weight this time, my goal is to keep it off long term. (Well, I may put on some, temporarily, if I get pregnant, but hopefully I will take it back off a bit faster this time afterwards.) :0)

So, I guess i'll see how much more I can accomplish with my health in the next 30 days...this is exciting! Here are a few verses to help motivate you if you are trying to get healthier:

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? ... So use every part of your body to give glory back to God..." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

"You were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:20

(And, my personal favorite to repeat to myself during a really hard workout:)

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13


13.8 pounds down, 10 to 15 more to go! I guess i'll try to update at the end of May and see if I make my goal. If I do, i'm buying a special "outfit" (wink wink) to wear just for my guy for our anniversary! (hubba hubba) If i'm really brave, perhaps i'll post before and after pictures...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really like your websites details! Undoubtedly a wonderful supply of knowledge that is extraordinarily helpful. Keep it up to hold publishing and that i’m gonna proceed studying by the use of! Cheers.